1. Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Maternity Benefit Act, 1961.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1[* * *]
(3) It shall come into force on such date 2 as may be notified in this behalf in the Official Gazette, –
3[(a) In relation to mines and to any other establishment wherein persons are employed for the exhibition of equestrian, acrobatic and other performances, by the Central Government; and]
(b) In relation to other establishments in a State, by the State Government.
1. The words “except the State of Jammu and Kashmir” omitted by Act 51 of 1970, sec.2 and Schedule (w.e.f. 1-9-1971).
2. Ist November 1963: vide Notification No.S.O. 2920, dated 5th October, 1963, Gazette of India, Pt.II, sec. 3, page 3735.
3. Subs. by Act 52 of 1973, sec.2 (w.e.f. 1-3-1975).